MERCEDES BY CRAYFORD.

David McMullan (sales manager) and Jeff Smith (R & D) were working together at Lambretta-Trojan in Croydon, near South East London. They worked on various Lambretta projects together, and then even more closely together under the supervision of the Group Chief Engineer, Ian Williams, on Kart racing projects. Finally they were both closely involved in the development of the Elva Courier sportscar at Lambretta Trojan.

 

1959 - registered car, AFO 887, supplied by Jeff's father's garage in Brecon, Wales.
They worked by day at Lambretta, and in the evening worked in a garage owned by a brother in law at Throwley House, Strood. David had a flat at Bexleyheath. The flat telephone was on the Crayford exchange, and answering the phone with the word 'Crayford', the name soon stuck and so Crayford became the name of their unborn Company. By the end of 1961 the convertible Mini, AFO 887 was completed, it was finished the same night that David’s first baby, Sean was born.